South Dakota is unique as a trust jurisdiction, thanks to a combination of legislative and fiscal advantages that include modern trust laws, robust provisions for asset protection and the privacy and assurance that come from being located in one of the world’s most economically and politically stable countries.
US – South Dakota Key Facts
- Leading trust jurisdiction with extremely supportive Governor, legislature, regulator and judiciary
- Trust legislation that allows for unlimited duration trusts, trust protector statutes, decanting and asset protection
- Trusts do not incur income, estate, inheritance, gift or transfer taxes
- Political and economic stability
- First-class infrastructure
- Highest ranked asset protection jurisdiction in the United States: #1 in all categories by Trusts & Estates magazine
- South Dakota ranks 1st in total bank assets according to the FDIC: $3.14 trillion (2018)
- Sioux Falls named #1 Best Small Place for Business and Careers by Forbes. com six times since 2005
- #2 ranked domestic asset protection trust jurisdiction by Oshins & Associates
Services & Sectors
JTC launched its USA trustee services in 2016 with the opening of a new office in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
Having been granted a trust license in South Dakota by the State’s financial authority, JTC can offer an enhanced and highly competitive range of trust and fiduciary services to its private and corporate clients, particularly those in the Americas and Asia with a US element to their planning needs.
Private wealth services available from or facilitated by our rapidly expanding South Dakota team include a comprehensive selection of US-centric trust types, including Directed Trusts, Delegated Trusts, Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts, Private Trust Companies, Dynasty Trusts, Generation Skipping Trusts and Asset Protection Trusts.
Furthermore, features of South Dakota’s progressive trust legislation include unlimited duration, trust protector statutes, decanting, asset protection and tax neutrality.